Hindi Diwas 2022: Hindi Diwas is celebrated every year on 14 September. Now the question arises that why Hindi Diwas is celebrated on 14th September only. The reason behind this is that the Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi as the official language on September 14, 1949, and since then Hindi Day was celebrated every year on September 14.
History of Hindi
- Chandradhar Sharma ‘Guleri’ named this Avahat as ‘Old Hindi’.
- It has been written at some places in history that the word ‘Hindi’ was used by foreign Muslims so that they meant ‘Indian language’.
Hindi Pakhwara is also celebrated
Many programs are also organized on this day to promote Hindi language. On this occasion Hindi Pakhwara is also celebrated in government offices and programs and competitions are also organized on Hindi subject.
Hindi Divas will be organized outside Delhi for the first time
The Department of Official Language of the Ministry of Home Affairs discharges several important responsibilities with a view to promote the progressive use of Hindi in the official work of the Union and to ensure compliance of all statutory and legal provisions. Hindi Divas is celebrated every year by the department by organizing special programs in Delhi. This year Hindi Divas will be organized outside Delhi for the first time. The events will be held in Surat, Gujarat.
Interesting facts related to Hindi language
- Hindi is derived from the Persian word Hind, which means “Land of the Indus River”.
- Hindi is the fourth most spoken first language in the world after Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and English.
- Bihar is the first state to adopt Hindi as its official language instead of Urdu.
- Apart from India, Hindi is spoken in Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other countries.
- The provisions relating to Hindi language are regulated by the Central Directorate of Hindi, Government of India.
- Article 351 of Part 17 of the Constitution of India gives clear directions for the development of Hindi language.
- On 26 January 1950, under Article 343 of the Constitution, it was decided to celebrate 14 September as Hindi Divas. There are 22 languages in India in which two languages have been recognized by the Central Government, English and Hindi.
Hindi Diwas 2022: Why Hindi Diwas is celebrated only on 14th September? Learn interesting facts
Story first published: Tuesday, September 13, 2022, 15:05 [IST]